Areas of Interest
Many of our research projects are collaborations, between the groups inside the Department, or with groups in other departments and institutions, including a substantial number of industrial and commercial companies.
Our basic research attracts considerable external funding from a variety of sources, including major UK Research Councils, the European Commission, UK government, and industry. This enables us to maintain a large body of first rate postdoctoral research staff, many of whom move on to university lectureships or research-oriented posts in industry. It also helps us to maintain an internationally competitive infrastructure of equipment and other facilities.
- Biological Information Management
- Description Logics, Ontologies and Automated Reasoning
- Distributed Query Processing
- Web Ergonomics Lab
- Parallel, Distributed and Grid Systems
- Security in Network and Distributed Systems
- Semantic Web
- Semantic Grid